Monday 25 March 2013

Question 7: Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?


Learning the basics:
To ensure I was able to successfully complete the project, I was required to perform a preliminary task in order to learn the basic rules of creating a media production, having never before involved myself with something such as this. I was taught the concept of the 180 degree rule which I found to be relatively easy to understand and put into effect. I also learnt the match on action and shot reverse shot continuity rules successfully. During this preliminary task I managed to gain a valuable amount of insight and knowledge on how to use the editing software and cameras, making it marginally easier when it came to producing my final coursework piece.

Shot types:
The research stages and the preliminary task allowed me to gage an insight into the many different shot types and camera angles used in the film industry and more specifically so, which were most frequently used in the thriller genre. I was also able to learn which camera angles and shot types created which effect and used these to my advantage; close ups create a sense of tension, tilt shots generate a feeling of confusion and distortion and low angles give status and power whereas high angles suggest vulnerability and weakness. In my opinion, the most effective shot type used in our production was the bird's eye view, tilt shot of the staircase, a generic location and camera angle.

Planning:
When planning our thriller we were able to refer back to the process and methods learnt during the planning stages of our preliminary task; storyboarding, creating character profiles, shot listing and gathering screenshots from other existing productions that inspired us. Being a visual and creative person, I feel that the gathering of images and storyboard methods of planning were most influential and profitable for me.

Teamwork:
Considering I had no previous relationship with any of the members in my group before the project, we managed to work successfully as a group, dividing responsibilities and giving valuable and honest feedback to each contribution made. Each member in our group was considerate of each other and played equal roles in the planning, shooting and editing stages of our production and all contributed equally; we decided not to delegate specific roles within the group, but to work together and share findings. During the planning and research stages we all shared ideas, information and possible references which allowed us each to produce multiple planning and research pieces that proved extremely helpful in the shooting of our footage. We decided to split the group and edit in pairs as this would allow each person to have a more active role which I believe worked very effectively.

Deviating from our original plan:
As it can be seen, our planning shows a very different story line and characters compared to that of our final production; this is due to the fact that our first set of footage was not performed to the high standard we desired. We decided, thus, to rethink our shot listing and alter the original plan made in order to produce a higher quality production.



Most interesting skill learnt:

The most influential part of this project for me was the editing stage; I found this very insightful and was able to learn various new skills such as effectively using the various transitions and, after reviewing the feedback from our questionnaire, I discovered how to alter and adapt the colour grade of a clip. This new skill, I feel, will be extremely helpful in future projects as it largely helps to create a certain, desired effect once the correct balance has been made; I am sure to use and develop this knowledge for next year’s project.



From the feedback received from our questionnaire I think I can confidently say that the new skills learnt have been successfully developed and used throughout the project, especially considering the lack of experience I had before the beginning of the preliminary project.

No comments:

Post a Comment